Creating the form and data-entry controls
Your next task is to create the form and data-entry controls for your template. Enter labels on the form where you will enter information. for example, has five labels: Name, Phone, Fee Paid?, Association, and Date. After you enter the labels, follow these steps to create the data-entry controls:
1. Display the Developer tab, if necessary. If this tab isn’t showing, go to the File tab, choose Options, and on the Customize Ribbon category of the Word Options dialog box, look for the Developer check box on the right side of the screen, select this check box, and click OK. (Book 9, Chapter 1 explains in detail how to customize the Ribbon.)
2. Click where you want to place a control, and then create the control by clicking a Controls button followed by the Properties button on the Developer tab.
Here are instructions for creating three types of controls:
• Drop-down list: A drop-down list is a menu that “drops” when you open it to reveal diﬀerent option choices. Click the Drop-Down List Content Control button and then the Properties button. You see the Content Control Properties dialog box. For each option you want to place on the drop-down list, click the Add button, and in the Add Choice dialog box, enter the option’s name in the Display Name text box and click OK.
Combo box: As with a drop-down list, a combo box “drops” to reveal choices. However, as well as choose an option on the drop-down list, data-entry clerks can enter information in the box. Click the Combo Box Content Control button and then the Properties button. In the Content Control Properties dialog box, enter option names the same way you enter them in a drop-down list.
• Date picker: A date picker is a mini-calendar from which data-entry clerks can enter a date. Click the Date Picker Content Control button and then the Properties button. In the Content Control Properties dialog box, choose a display format for dates and click OK.
3. Click the Save button to save your template.
Now you’re ready to use your newly made form to enter data.
Microsoft Office Course Lesson
- Alamin Computer Training Center